Originally the school was named the Cartersville School and it stood about 1/4 mile from the present-day location. Opening in 1879, it stood close to Wolf Creek. A flood tipped it over and a second flood in 1908 led to the decision to relocate the school. The present-day school opened in 1910 and it also was the first year the school was operating during the winter term. Prior to 1910, the school year went from March until about Thanksgiving or until travel became too difficult.
The school has been included in two books: Visions and Voices: Montana's One-Room Schoolhouses and Chasing Time.